The original structure dates back to 1889.as the original YMCA building. Other businesses also occupied the space. An expanded structure opened as the Elite Theater. After many names and uses over time it was bought in 1977, renamed the Georgia Theatre and operated as a Music venue and occasional movie house. The B-52's actually paid to play there in May 1978 and the Police played there on their first US tour. The building was restored and repaired after a bad fire in 2009 with some of the restoration funding coming from a benefit concert highlighted by The Zack Brown Band.