Completed in 1848, it is the second oldest house in Dalton. It is located on Thornton Avenue. The architecture is Federal Style with a 1910 Victorian Style addition. It was the home of Ainsworth Emery Blunt, the first mayor of Dalton, the first postmaster, one of the founders of the First Presbyterian Church, and a leader in the 1851 formation of Whitfield County from Murray County. ...During the Confederate Occupation of Dalton, Gen Johnston was entertained in the Blunt House. When the Union Forces took Dalton, it was then used as a Union hospital. This kept it from being burned. It remained solely in the Blunt family until the death of Mrs. Emery Kirby Baxter in 1978. She willed the house to the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society with the stipulation it be placed on the National Register of Historic Places, which was accomplished in 1981. The home contains original furnishings, watercolors painted by the granddaughters, among many many era treasures from clothes to kitchen gadgets. It is lovingly maintained by the Whitfield Murray Historical Society. The docents are incredibly knowledgeable Daltonians. The clapboards are the exterior is original. The shiplap and wooden floors are original.