Sunday, September 3, 2017

Historic Starr's Mill in Fayette County

The property was originally owned by a Hananiah Gilcoat, who built the first mill here sometime shortly before 1825. Hilliard Starr owned the mill for apprx 20 yrs after the Civil War era, and his name was the one that stuck. After the original log buildings burned in the early 1900's, the site was rebuilt in 1907 with these current buildings, and it served as an active mill for grinding and log sawing until the late 1950's. There was also a cotton gin, and a dynamo sending power to the town of Senoia which is just south of this location.
Christopher Bligh

No comments:

Post a Comment