It was formed in 1854 by the merging of 3 church's who shared camp meeting worship for 22 years. The first church was built the same year in what was then known as the Stinson Community. Sometime between 1854 and 1908 the community was renamed Durand. In 1908 a tornado destroyed the building and in 1910 the current church was constructed on the site of the antebellum home of Dr. James Stinson. It is still active today.