It is the second oldest Baptist Church in the state and one of the most historic. Silas Mercer was the pastor of Powell Creek Church(org. 1786) when Powelton Baptist was organized in 1798. The original meeting house is the part of the building at the right rear in the picture . The first Pastor of Powelton was Silas' son Jesse Mercer who served until 1825. It was here in 1803 that the General Committee on Georgia Baptists was organized. In 1822 the steeple and porch was added. After over 220 years the congregation is still active but small.