It began it's existence as Alford's Chapel around 1835 and was one of the first churches in Troup County. Established by one of the first families, its graveyard has several early settlers in Troup. The church was built on the land of Captian Lodwick Alford and he donated the land for the log church. After his death in 1854, Rev. Cal Davidson bought the property and donated the land to the church. But records get lost, and did, causing the land to be re-donated a couple of times. At some point the church was renamed Bethel and in 1906, the current structure was built on the same property. The timbers from the old building were given to New Harmony Methodist, a black Methodist Church a short distance away. The church is still in service of it's congregation today.