No one is sure of the date that Passover Methodist Church was organized but it was started by a local preacher named Tommy Hunnicut. A small plot of land was donated by Mrs Allen Gains and a small log cabin church was constructed for use by both the Baptists and Methodists. The congregations grew quickly and a new larger log cabin church was constructed. This log church served well for 50 years until the two congregations decided to build their own church's in 1907 and this structure was built at that time. In the same year, 1907, the community of Passover changed it's name to Mountain City and the name of the church changed to Mountain City Methodist at the same time.