The original portion of the house was one of the first built in the new Cherokee County when Cherokee County was first created in 1831 or 1832. Brigadier General and State Senator Eli McConnell, and his wife Savilla Garrison, built this house in the late 1830s.As Senator, McConnell suggested to the Georgia Legislature that Milton County should be created. Milton County was created on December 18, 1857 from parts of Cobb, Cherokee, and Forsyth counties. Alpharetta was the county seat of Milton County until late in 1931 when it merged with Fulton County to save it from bankruptcy.
At some point, Givens Arnold purchased the house and it was later passed down to Washington Chadwick. There is a brass plaque in front of this house stating that it is “A CITY OF MILTON HISTORIC SITE.”