The Macon & Augusta Railroad came to Mayfield in 1873. The line was merged into the Georgia Railroad in 1878. The Mayfield Depot was completed sometime soon after. Although Mayfield was a small farming community, Jewell is nearby and home to a large textile mill at the time. So in addition to decent passenger sales, a lot of cotton goods were shipped from here. Enough that a freight house was added to the depot in the 1880's. Times changed, the mill is gone and Mayfield is a quiet place way off the beaten path. The depot lies forgotten and barely standing with no real hope of salvation.