It was built in 1926 when steam moved the nations freight and passengers. Raymond was an important junction of two C of G lines from the south. The line from Columbus joined the line from Griffin and Macon here. There was a depot and small yard here and steam locomotives could take coal here. From the junction the railroad moved North to Rome and Chattanooga. The Central dieseized pretty early on and the coaling tower has sat unused since the late 40's or early 50's.