It was founded in 1839 by Rev. Levi Bedenbaugh and a few families who had migrated to the area from South Carolina. At first they worshipped with the Baptists in a small building that was on a property now occupied by Haralson Baptist Church. In 1846, the first church was built in another location and in 1891 a church was built on this site. In 1924 it was struck by lightning and burned. The current structure was completed in 1927.