Fort Screven's Battery Garland on Tybee Island. It was the last coastal Fort built in Georgia and maybe the entire country. Both Confederate and Union forces occupied the site during the Civil War, but plans for a permanent fort did not come about until the 1870's however it wasn't until the Spanish American war that construction of the fort started. There were 7 batteries in all in the fort built between 1896 and 1902. Battery Garland is pictured here and is now the home of the Tybee Island Museum.