Sunday, April 23, 2017
The Singer Building in Lumpkin
The Singer Company, Georgia's oldest hardware store, was founded in 1838. Ownership has remained in the Singer family for 5 generations. Johan George Singer, who emigrated from Germany initially to Baltimore, Maryland, arrived in Lumpkin, Georgia in 1838 and established his shoe and boot making business. During the Civil War, the company provided boots for the Confederate Army. The first building was originally located just north of the Lumpkin Town Square. It was a two story wooden building with the shop on the ground floor and living quarters above. This building has been moved to Westville, Georgia where it has been restored and serves as an exhibition boot shop. Later the business was moved to the northwest corner of the town square and operated by one of Johan George's older sons, John G. Singer, who also operated a tanning yard at another location.
In 1894 the business was moved to its present location on the southeast corner of the Lumpkin Town Square and operated by Johan George's youngest son, Fred Sam Singer and later Fred's sons, Jess and Julian. After their deaths, Julian's son Sam became president of the company.Over time the business evolved from boot and shoe making to groceries and mercantile items and finally added hardware and farm supplies. https://www.facebook.com/singerhardware/posts/1645030732419055