Now a B&B, the home was built in 1873 by Samuel Pugh Hamilton, affectionately known as the "Lord of Lafayette Square".
Mr. Hamilton was a Naval Officer who resigned his commission to serve in the CSA, which he did at Fort Pulaski. He owned several business and served on the board's of several others. He was also President of the Brush Electric Light & Power Company and his home was the first in Savannah to have electric lights inside and that occurred in 1883. His home was a center point for the city's elite. Often hosting party's and events at the home.