It was organized sometime prior to 1835, but no records have been found to say how early. The first church was located about a mile from here and according to the historical records available, had slave members as early as 1838. In 1846, a new church was constructed in a pine grove behind the present structure. It lasted until the current structure was dedicated in 1916. The church had fallen into a state of disrepair until recently when a restoration was done.