This iron furnace marks the site of the former town of Alatoona, Bartow County, and lies just below the dam on the river of the same name. It was part of an industrial complex started by Martin Stroup in 1847. He later sold out to Mark Anthony Cooper. It was near the Western and Atlantic Railroad and was a prime target for General Sherman's army who burned the town. It was never rebuilt. In 1869 the Bessemer Converter was introduced to make pig iron, a forerunner of steel, and this sort of plant became outmoded.