It was built circa 1825 in the Federal Style for George T Brown. It was used as a hotel for awhile while the state capitol was in Milledgeville. It was then purchased by Daniel Stestson as a wedding gift to his daughter who married Daniel Sanford, who was clerk of the secession vote. In 1966 it was moved to it's current location and renovated. The portico may have been added then or before.