Sunday, April 7, 2019

Abandoned bridge over Allen Creek on what must've been the precursor to US 129 near Talmo. The current bridge was built in 1940 and I stopped to get some photos of it since it'll be demolished by the current widening project. That's when I noticed the abandoned bridge back off the road. About half of the old bridge's guardrails have been knocked off, but apparently the locals have installed makeshift rails of pipe and hog wire.

The abandoned bridge is remarkably similar in design to the 1940 one: I don't think it's more than twenty years older. Apparently it was decided that the highway needed to be a bit wider, and it was decided to relocate the highway rather than widening the existing bridge. 🤔

I first visited here last summer, but I decided to return today to try to capture the essence of the bridge in a single photo before the surrounding vegetation reached its full spring extent. I was surprised that very little progress has been made on the road construction in the last nine months: it's just as interesting and accessible now as it was before.
Tom Marney

No comments:

Post a Comment